Thursday, July 2, 2009

Work Hard…Play Harder

Such a good title…right? We all talk about it, but do we walk the walk? I know after a week of class, lectures, tours and work you just want to die in bed and not get up until Monday comes around. But we are in the Nation’s Capital for just over two months- and the first month is already gone. What have you done? I know that if I would stay home all weekend and then start work again on Monday- I will go insane. Yes, I do love sleep…but there is time to sleep when we get back home and start school again. Also, there is so much to see in DC, we really do not have enough time! Besides going to the Smithsonians and the monuments, there are some other places to consider.


Chocolate World!

If you have a car…Hershey Park in Hershey, PA

Rollercoasters + Chocolate= HEAVEN! Hershey Park is the home of Hershey’s Chocolate..duh. My cousin and two of her friends got us tickets to spend the day at the park. We miscalculated the distance, and we left a little late. It’s a nice three hour drive to Hershey Park, but if you have the time, it’s a great place. Hershey Park features over 60 rides, entertainment, and fun for the whole family. I am a rollercoaster junkie. I love the speed, the drops, the turns and the flips. The faster, the better. We spent the day at the park. With 11 rollercoasters and 14 water rides, I was in heaven. My cousin was too scared to ride the rollercoasters, so I rode with her two friends. I did not appreciate having to ride solo in the two-seater rides, but it was so much fun. After a day of riding, we were ready for the main event- Chocolate World. We took a tour of the Hershey chocolate factory. It was one of those rides that you sit and it takes you on the tour. At the end of the ride- they give you free chocolate! By far the best part!

We love Kisses!

As you already know, sports run my life. So when my program advisor said she got the Media and Comm. students tickets for a Nationals game, I was very excited. One of my life goals is to visit every ballpark in the U.S. We went to the Washington Nationals vs. Toronto Blue Jays at Nationals Park. I was quite upset, because my family went to the Marlins vs. Yankees game in Miami. I had tickets to the game, but I couldn’t make home, so I had to sell my ticket. Not that I wasn’t excited about the Nationals, but come on, it’s the Yankees! They are my favorite it (NO, I am not a bandwagon fan!). And they hadn’t been to Miami since the 2003 World Series.

Fellow interns enjoying the game

Ok, ok, back to the Nationals. The game started at 6:30pm, so there was no way that I would be able to go home change and get back in time. A few friends decided- hey, it’s Friday, let’s go to Happy Hour. So we found a place that is walking distance to the ballpark and has a good happy hour. The Ugly Mug-Yes, that’s the name- it’s cute and has a great casual atmosphere. It is very well known for its great happy hour, all-American food and 24 beers on tap. I highly recommend the pub if you like a laid-back mood. One tip- their happy hour food portions are huge, so share. Anyways, the stadium is new and there really isn’t a “bad” seat. For $10 you can sit in the 200 level. Nice seats. It was a great experience, and I recommend it to anyone that is sick of museums. Come on, its America’s National Pastime in the nation’s capital- can’t get any better. Closest Metro is the Navy Yard-Green Line.

Kaite and me at the ballgame

Leli’s recommendation of the week: The Ugly Mug- 24 beers on tap-enough said. Enjoy a few beers there, because you do not want to pay for a beer at the ballpark!

Location: 723 8th Street SE Washington, DC 20003
Until next time, Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment